Frequently Asked Questions about Other things

What kind of visa or permit do I need to volunteer?

On entry to South Africa most volunteers are issued with a temporary residence permit, with a volunteer amendment. Please visit our visas page for more information.

What kind of travel insurance do I need?

You will need to arrange your own comprehensive travel insurance for the duration of the time you plan to spend in South Africa, including the period you will be volunteering for. Your travel insurance should cover you for repatriation and also for any activities you may wish to take part in during your stay. These will depend on both the project you will be working on and your own interests. It is important to ensure you are covered for activities such as horse-riding, abseiling, bungee jumping, sky diving etc. should you plan to participate in any of these.

What kind of vaccinations do I require?

The only vaccinations you need are updated tetanus and polio injections, although some doctors also immunise against yellow fever, should you be planning to travel elsewhere in Africa. It is advisable to consult a doctor or pharmacist before you leave to make sure you are covered against all eventualities.

Do I need to take medication for malaria?

The majority of South Africa is free of malaria, so unless you are planning to travel in the Northern area (i.e. Kruger National Park and the surrounding areas) or into Mozambique or Swaziland, you do not need to take anti-malaria medication. All anti-malaria drugs are freely available in South Africa and, in general, much cheaper than overseas so it is advisable to purchase them over here. It is also worth bearing in mind that many South African's choose not to take anti-malaria medication, even when in malaria areas. This is because there are three different strains of malaria and so the presence of anti-malaria drugs in the bloodstream can the strain harder to identify and, therefore, more difficult to treat promptly. Even if you contract malaria, it is very rarely life-threatening as long as it is treated promptly.

What should I bring with me?

Please visit our what to pack page for more information.

Website Design, Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) by ZAWebs Designs | Web Hosting by ZAWebs Hosting